Calisthenics is a type of workout where you use your body weight rather than other additional weight. In simple words, we can say that “any exercise that can be done by your own bodyweight” is known as Calisthenics workout. These exercises can be performed by different levels of intensity and rhythm. That helps to cover all the muscles of your body.
Calisthenics is also known as bodyweight workout or even ‘street workout.’ The title “street workout” is very popular on social media that’s the only reason people also putting keens on it.
Calisthenics includes so many movements which vary from very low level to advanced level. All the exercises allow for the development of strength, endurance, flexibility, and coordination.
Benefits of Calisthenics
Benefits can vary from person to person or level to level, but below are some benefits you can see when you’re performing the workout.
Don’t need any equipment: – One of the best advantages of calisthenics is that you can do it anywhere, anytime with little or no equipment.
Calisthenics is free: – You can do calisthenics at your home with minimal equipment that you want to purchase at the beginning of the calisthenics routine. It can be done at any place and are quite easy to perform or makes an individual ideal as an economical workout plan.
Doing at home is more convenient, you need no monthly memberships, exercise classes, and gym personal trainer fee. Your living room/garage/basement can become your home gym with an initial start-up.
You can build amazing strength: – Doing calisthenics with proper guidelines and form you got the very grateful result. Lifting your own body weight also accomplishes serious strength on your body. If you are a 70 kg man doing a pull-up, you’re effectively lifting 70 kg weight. That is the power of calisthenics.
There are so many different and difficult variations of calisthenics that build mass and strength without the use of weight.
Calisthenics burn calories: – Calisthenics target your all muscles from feet to fingers. In addition, you’ll use multiple muscle groups at once. That’s means you require a high amount of movement that burns a lot of calories on your body in a short period.
Help to weight loss: – With consuming a limited surplus of calories, you can see the serious results of a calisthenics workout. The different variations were really helpful for weight loss.
Muscle Grow: – With fat loss, you also watch the result of muscle growth.
Calisthenics can improve your long-term health: – According to Rivadeneyra, calisthenics training may reduce your risk of chronic diseases or many other physical issues like:
- Reduce anxiety
- Help you lose weight.
- Build a perfect body posture.
- Allow you to better sleep
- Boost mood.
- Improve your heart health.
- Reduce the risk for type 2 diabetes
10 Calisthenics Exercises For Beginner’s
These calisthenics movements are compulsory to do at the beginning of the journey, because it is a base of calisthenics and provide strength for advanced level of calisthenics workout. As a beginner’s you need to do 3 sets of every exercise with a minimum of 10 reps or if you can’t afford to do any exercise, try it with spot or minimum reps.
Muscles Worked: Back, Shoulder
- Raise your both hand and grabs the bar above your head with your hands wider than shoulder-width apart.
- Plant your hands in a overhand grip (palms facing away from your body).
- Raise your feet up from the ground and bend your knees.
- Place your body like you are hanging through your arms. Keep your shoulder, back and core engaged.
- Bend your elbows and move your body slowly toward the bar until your chin is over the bar, then in the same momentum lower it back in the starting position.
Tips: When you pull your body up, tuck your elbows toward the hip and parallel to the ground.
Muscles Worked: Biceps, Back
- Again stand below the pull-up bar.
- Grab the bar from underneath with your arms in a tight, slightly closer than shoulder-width apart.
- Use your biceps to pull you up, bringing your head up over the bar.
- Wait a second and lower the body back to original position.
Muscle Target: Chest, Tricep, Shoulder
- Place your hands on the floor slightly wider than your shoulder-width.
- Extend your legs straight with the support of your toes at the hip level opposite to upper body.
- Your body should be in straight alignment from head to heal.
- Now, lower your body toward floor by bending your elbows close to your body until your upper arms are along to the side of your body.
- Pause for a beat and then push back your body up to the starting position.
4. Bench Dips
Muscle Worked: Triceps
- Place your hands on bench behind yours at shoulder width apart and extend your legs forward at another bench or floor.
- Your palms parallel to the floor and your fingers toward to your hips.
- Lower your arms by bending your elbows back.
- When your elbows and shoulders lies in a straight line, push your body up.
- All the steps is done by using your tricep muscles to move you up and down.
Muscles Target: Full Body
- Stand on your feet at hip-width apart and engage your core.
- Jump up by extending your arms up straight along with the ears.
- When you comes on your feet, immediately drop your hands on the floor and shoot your feet back, so you can form a high plank position.
- Now do a push-up by engaging your core muscle.
- Than, quickly jump to feet back to hands without any pause, stand, and jump again in a powerful motion. This is your one Burpees.
Muscles Target: Quadriceps, Hamstring, Glutes, Abdominals & Calves
- Stand on feet wider than shoulder width and your toes slightly turned out.
- Take a deep breath and bend your hip back and also bend your knees to lower your body as far as you can without losing the arch in your lower back (but stop when your hamstring goes parallel to ground).
- Push your knees out as you descend. Drive vertically with your hips to come back up.
Muscles Worked: Abdominal and almost all aspects of your core muscles.
- Bend the elbows on shoulder-width by resting your forearms on the mat and your hands facing forward and together in a parallel position (make a diamond shape by your wrists or hands).
- Extend your legs out behind you and rest your toes on the floor. Your body should form a straight line from shoulders to heels.
- Engaged your entire core, your glutes, and your quads. Make sure you are not dropping your hips low as compared to upper body or hiking your butts up high toward the ceiling.
- Make a neutral position and your head is also not tucked anywhere else, gaze in on your hands. Hold the position for 30-60 seconds.
8. Mountain Climbers
Muscles Worked: Obliques, Abs, Hips.
- Make a high plank position (plant your hands onto the ground directly under your shoulder-width and legs are straightened on your toes).
- As the name climber, you need to bring one knee toward your chest by another one straight.
- Alternate, bring the opposite knee forward with the same action at a time, while when you put the first one back to the starting position.
9. Leg Raise
Muscles Worked: Abdominal and Core muscles
- Lie down on your back and plant your both hand sides of you, palms facing towards the ground.
- Now slowly raise both legs together as straight as possible, until the heels are perpendicular to the floor.
- At the same momentum lower it back on starting position.
- But here a twist generates, don’t touch the floor, keep them hovering a few inches off from the ground until your desired reps are not completed.
Tips: The most convenient part that misses everybody, when you raise your legs toward your chest raise it only at 60° to 70°. The overall means raise your legs below 90° for a greater experience.
10. Calf Raise
Muscles Target: Calves
- Stand up straight by placing your feet at the level of hip-width. And plant your toes on ascending position where your heels hovering on it.
- Now push your feet balls and raise your heels until you are standing on your toes.
- And feel the pressure that generating on your calves.
- Then slowly back to the starting position.
How much time take to get advanced calisthenics workout?
There is not any permanent time fixed for becoming a pro-level of calisthenics person. It all depends upon you, how much effort you put into it.
But if you are a person who really wants to become the epitome of calisthenics, the basic formula is to do at least 2 hours of calisthenics workout every day. The chance of adapting advanced workouts should be 6 to 9 months.
Becoming the pro level of calisthenics person want your time, energy, strength, power, hard work, dedication, effort, and so on. But believing in yourself can birth a new version of a human that hides inside you.
What equipment do you need for calisthenics at home?
There are some important pieces of equipment that you should have if you are going to join the journey of calisthenics workout from home. These are very important equipment for some calisthenics exercises that make it easier to focus on all types of muscles.
But don’t be afraid, if it is too expensive or what! It only wants one-time money to spend on your equipment and make a nice or suitable gym at home.
1. Gymnastics Ring
3. Ab Roller
4. Pull Up Bar
5. Resistance Bands
Calisthenics V/s Weightlifting
|1||Those exercises that can be done by your own body weight are called calisthenics. For instance, Pull-ups and pushups, etc.||Those exercises that can be done with artificial weight are called weightlifting. For instance, bench press and triceps extension, etc|
|2||It helps to lose weight and define your muscles.||It involves isolated exercise that increases the size of a muscles group.|
|3||Cheaper to do.||Expensive: want gym equipment and membership, which may be expensive.|
Why do you want to do Calisthenics?
The question may be a little upsetting for you, but really “why you want this?” – Question yourself.
Every person has some dreams and those dreams come from some kind of reality. The dream of calisthenics may be, come from social media or by envy. But there is no important thing where it’s come from. The important part is how much you are yearning for it.
Calisthenics is a type of bodyweight workout that is booming on social media with the name of street workout. The people inspire through advanced calisthenics like handstand push-ups, swing gainer, geinger, flyaway, etc but they fail to know all these things are able to do by the base of something.
Do above beginner’s calisthenics exercise with variations until you can perform it easily. When you are able to do the beginner level of calisthenics for up to 1 month, then you can go for some intermediate level and then for the pro. It is a step-by-step procedure, you need to follow.