Russian twist is a core exercise that improves oblique and abs strength. If you want to remove fat from your belly, thighs, and upper or lower back portion, then do it with maximum reps you can, benefits to overcome these fats from your body.
Russian Twist with no equipment is an intermediate level. But if you want to make more love to your abs and obliques muscles then do a Russian twist with weight.
How to do Russian Twists?
- Sit up straight on the floor by bending your knees. Plant your arms at chest level.
- Lean the back with a long, tall spine, holding your torso at a 45-degree angle, and raise the feet off the ground simultaneously.
- Keep your arm away a few inches from your chest and turn your torso to the right, pause and squeeze your right obliques muscles.
- Then turn to the left and pause to squeeze your left obliques muscles.
Note: The movement should come from your ribs not from your arms.
Tips for Russian Twists.
- Exhale with each twist and inhale to return to the center.
- Engage your abdominal and back muscles throughout the exercise.
- Don’t come out a lumbar curve, keep your back straight.
- Keep your arms parallel to the ground or reach down to tap the floor beside you.
Benefits of Russian Twists.
Russian twists strengthen your core, obliques, and spine. “It’s a total core exercise that also works your balance, builds stability in your spine, and trims your mid-section all at once”.
The reason of target your mid-section, Russian Twists is not recommended to pregnant ladies (precaution).
Variation of Russian Twists
Grabs the dumbbell or medicine ball on your hands at the front of your chest. Make the same position as the original Russian twist, then turn your torso to one side of your obliques and drop the weighted ball to touch the floor slightly with straight arms. Pause and slowly return to the starting position, then go to the other side.
Leg cross Twists
As you twist your torso to the right, cross your right calf over your left and when you come back on center, uncross the calf. Same do as the left when to turn your torso, but in the left, cross left calf over your right.
Sit back slightly, keeping your spine straight. Lift your bended knees off the floor, holding your hands next to your chest. Exhale as you punching your right arm over to the left side, slightly twist to the left. Inhale and come back to starting position and do the same to the opposite side. Do 3 sets with 14 reps on each side.
Holding a plate or dumbbell and twist the body on the decline bench same as the original version of Russian twist. Engaged your core, when you twist.