|Muscle Worked:||Lateral, medial, and long head.|
|Level:||Beginners to Intermediate|
|Main Goal:||Build long head tricep muscle.|
Overhead triceps extension exercise is the best isolation exercise for the long head muscle of your triceps. It helps to develop your triceps muscle growth and size. This is the best triceps workout with dumbbells. It is also known as dumbbell tricep extension.
How to do Overhead Triceps Extension?
- Sit on a bench and grab one dumbbell. Grip the top end of the weight with both hands like a form of Diamond.
- Lift the dumbbell until your arms are fully extended up with a dumbbell with palms facing and elbows pointing forward.
- Bending at the elbows and squeezing your triceps, slowly lower the dumbbell behind your head.
- Slowly return to starting position and repeat.
- Sets: 3
- Reps: 12-14
- Rest: 60 seconds in each set
Overhead Triceps Extension Tips!
- Try to keep your elbows as still as possible throughout the exercises to ensure you’re isolating your tricep muscle.
- To get the most from each extension, hold the position for a beat when your arms are fully extended.
You can do the triceps extension standing, sitting or lying down, and either flat or on an incline/decline. You can also do it with different types of weight, like barbells or an EZ-bar, but the advantage of doing it with a dumbbell in each hand is that you will be able to spot and work on any arm strength imbalances. Just be sure you don’t overdo it with the weight because it’s vital to go through the full range of movement with the exercise to work the triceps correctly and struggling with a dumbbell that’s too heavy will hamper your form.
What is the best workout for triceps?
Close-Grip Bench Press, Diamond Pushups, Cable Rope Triceps Extension, triceps dips, and Skullcrushes are the best workout for the triceps muscle. These exercises build your full range of three triceps muscles. This exercise targets all three muscles at once or shifts the focus to just one at a time.
How do I build triceps fast?
The fastest way to build your triceps is by incorporating exercises that target all three muscle heads. You’ll need to perform the exercise regularly while gradually increasing the weight as you become stronger. Increasing load helps you build triceps muscle fast. Just remember, it won’t happen overnight but combined with the right diet and consistency, you got results in a few months.
What triceps exercise hits all three heads?
Diamond pushups are a great way to hit all 3 heads simultaneously, as are close-grip bench presses, kickbacks, and tricep pushdowns also hit three heads muscles.