|Muscle Target:||Lateral Head Tricep|
|Level:||Intermediate to Advanced|
|Main Goal:||Build your triceps more attractive|
The lateral head of your tricep is the outermost tricep muscle and the most visible from the side. Well when you developed it, it helps to give your upper arm a horseshoe shape, which is so appealing.
So, while all three different triceps muscle heads are important for growing arm size and strength for activities of daily living (ADL), emphasizing the lateral head tricep will give your arms an even more elegant shape. But, it is really worth spending some extra time on this part of your arms.
Anatomy of Triceps-
The maximum percentage of your triceps is located on the back of your biceps muscles that’s your long head. The full name of your upper back arm is triceps brachii, which means three-headed arm muscle. All three different origins of the triceps and one insertion point make a horseshoe shape of this muscle. By doing a common triceps workout all three heads work, but it can be possible to emphasize only one head muscle of the triceps at a time by choosing a specific exercise.
One of the most loving tricep muscles is the lateral head that everyone wants to grow. The main reason is its horseshoe shape that makes your arm more attractive and shapely. In this article, we cover all the best exercises that build your tricep lateral head muscle.
- Long head – the inside of the upper arm
- Medial head – between the long and medial heads
- Lateral head – the outside of the upper arm
The Best Lateral Head Triceps Workout!
All the triceps exercises involve your lateral head, but here we show you some extraordinary better than others to emphasize the muscle. Here are the eight of the best lateral head triceps workout, you need to select three exercises out of eight on tricep day and shuffle with different exercises on the next workout of triceps.
The diamond push-up is a pretty advanced level of lateral head triceps and it is a great example to build the lateral head muscles. While all kinds of push-ups work the chest, shoulders, and triceps, moving your hands closer than in a classic push-up puts focus firmly on your triceps!
How to do Diamond Pushup?
- Put the hands together under your chest on the mat. Form a diamond shape of your hand.
- Extend the legs and arms so that your body is elevated and forms a straight line from head to your feet.
- Lower your chest towards your hands as like regular push-ups.
- Ensuring that your elbows don’t flare out to the sides and keeping your back flat.
- Stop just before your chest touches the floor, then push back up to the starting position and repeat.
- Sets: 4
- Reps: 12
- Rest: 40s on each set
Bench dips mainly target the lateral head of your triceps, it also hits your chest, anterior deltoid, or the front of your shoulder. It only requires an elevated surface – like bench, step, or stair – and is applicable to all fitness levels. By being more effective, you can raise your legs by the support of putting a box or other bench (opposite to you) with the weight on your upper thighs.
How to do Bench dips?
- Place your hands slightly wide through hip-width on a bench behind you.
- Slightly bend your knees and place your feet together on another lower or same height of the bench.
- Lower slowly the upper body as far as you can, then press back up powerfully.
- This is your 1 Rep, repeat it until your desired reps are not completed.
- Sets: 3.
- Reps: 12-14.
- Rest: 40s each set.
Dumbbell French Press
The Dumbbell French Press is an exercise in which you raise your arms, bend them at the elbows, bring your forearms toward the shoulder, and then straighten them back up. This is one of the best-isolated exercises for the triceps that build your tricep shape.
How to do Dumbbell French Press?
- Lie down back on a sturdy bench with your knees bent and feet flat.
- Hold lightweight in each hand and straighten your arms directly over your chest.
- Engage your core, make an arch on your back and keep your palms facing each other.
- Now bend your elbows, and slowly lower the dumbbells towards your shoulders until your upper arm is parallel to the floor.
- Pause for a second, and then press back to the starting position. That’s one rep.
- Sets: 4
- Reps: 14-8
- Rest: 40 seconds
The three heads of triceps muscles:-
By doing perfect or correct exercise, Kickbacks triceps workout is a very effective and faster building exercise of your lateral head triceps. When you kick the dumbbell back with full force, it generates great pressure on your triceps that you feel by doing exercise.
How to do Triceps Kickbacks?
- Hold a dumbbell on right hand with your palms facing in toward your body.
- Put your left hand on bench straight and left shin on bench by bending your knees.
- To stable the posture place your right leg on the floor.
- Engage your core and maintain a straight spine as you hinge forward at the waist, bringing your torso almost parallel to the floor.
- Above the elbow arm portion, fix and close it your body and your head in line with your spine.
- On a exhale, engage your tricep by straightening your elbow.
- Only moving your forearm during the movement. Pause when your push the dumbbell and then inhale to return the weights to the starting position. Return it slowly until your forearm make a perpendicular postion with upper arm.
- When you complete desired reps on one side of your arm and then hold the dumbbell with opposite side of your arm. Do same as you did with right arm.
- Sets: 3
- Reps: 12-14
- Rest: 45s on each set
This move of triceps exercise is completely focused on your lateral head and long head muscle, but only if you do it perfectly. For this exercise not use too much weight, by involving weight your back and shoulder muscles, defeating the purpose. So, lighten the load, heavier the pressure you feel on your triceps.
How to do Cable Rope Triceps Pushdown?
- Attach a rope handle to the high pulley of a cable station.
- Grab the rope with an overhand grip and slightly bends your arms.
- Tuck your upper arms next to your sides.
- Push the rope down with your elbows locked and pause for a second.
- Do not move your upper arms.
- Slowly return the starting position and repeat it.
- Sets: 3-5.
- Reps: 18-6.
- Rest: 40 seconds.
Close-grip bench press
This close-grip bench press variation has lifted up with your hands set shoulder-width apart. This close placement of your hands makes your triceps work harder, which can lead to new muscles and more strength. It is the best exercise for your triceps and lower arm muscles.
How to do Close-Grip Bench Press?
- Grab a barbell with an overhand grip, that’s closer than shoulder-width apart.
- Hold the bar above your Sternum, keeping your arms completely straight and your elbows tucked at 45-degree angles on either side.
- Maintain good bench posture-engage your core and glutes, keep your feet flat on the floor, and drive into the bench.
- Lower the bar slowly straight down until it lightly touches your body and then push back it up gently. Pause for a second and engage your triceps muscle, then repeatly lower the bar slowly down.
- For the last set, reduce the weight and then increase the number of reps, pushing yourself to failure.
- Sets: 3-4 sets.
- Reps: 12-8 reps.
- Rest: 40 seconds rest after each set.
EZ Bar Skull-crushers
This exercise is also known as Lying Tricep Extension and is a formidable drill. The lying triceps extension exercise is perfect for building your lateral head triceps at an advanced level. It has so many ways to perform it, but your elbow extension remains constant. This exercise is not for beginners.
How to do Skull-Crushers?
- Grab an underhand grip on the EZ bar and extend your arms straight up.
- Keeping your elbows tucked in and your arms perpendicular to the floor, slowly lower the bar until it is about an inch from your forehead.
- Slowly extend your arms back to starting position, without locking your elbows.
- Sets: 3.
- Reps: 12-8.
- Rest: 60 seconds.
Medicine Ball Overhead Throw
This is the fun and best way to end any triceps workout. Most of the triceps exercises want to be done slowly and with control for effectiveness. But, with the move, you need to work explosively, which provides a welcome change of pace. Grab 7-12 lbs. medicine ball and crank out the reps until you get a great pump!
How to do Medicine Ball Overhead Throw?
- Stand a few feet away from a strong wall. Hold a medicine ball in your hands and adopt a staggered stance for balance.
- Raise the ball and hold it behind your head, place your biceps close to your ears.
- Extend your arms and hurl the ball at the wall in front of you. Use all your strength! Catch it as it rebounds and repeat.
- Sets: 3.
- Reps: 10-failure.
What is the best workout for triceps?
Close-Grip Bench Press, Diamond Pushups, Cable Rope Triceps Extension, triceps dips, and Skullcrushes are the best workout of the triceps muscle. These exercises build your full range of three triceps muscles and produce mechanical tension that promotes increased volume mass. This exercise targets all three muscles at once or shifts the focus to just one at a time.
How do I build triceps fast?
The fastest way to build your triceps is by incorporating exercises that target all three muscle heads. You’ll need to perform the exercise regularly while gradually increasing the weight as you become stronger. Increasing load helps you build triceps muscle fast. Just remember, it won’t happen overnight but combined with the right diet and consistency, you got results in a few months.
What triceps exercise hits all three heads?
Diamond pushups are a great way to hit all 3 heads simultaneously, as are close-grip bench presses, kickbacks, and tricep pushdowns also hit three heads muscles.