L-Arginine is an amino acid that is used in the biosynthesis of proteins. In the body, arginine changes into the potent vasodilator nitric oxide. Given that nitric oxide is known to promote vasodilation and enhance skeletal muscle blood flow, it has been suggested that arginine supplementation may increase exercise performance.
Your body needs arginine which is more commonly called l-arginine when in supplement foam, for many critical processes.
In the body, the arginine amino acid converts into nitric oxide. Nitric oxide is a powerful neurotransmitter that helps blood vessels relax and improves blood circulation.
L-arginine is sometimes used to treat cardiovascular conditions, immune function, and high blood pressure, although more research is needed to determine its effectiveness in these regards. As with any supplement, you should first consult a medical team before adding it to your daily life.
The reason why arginine is so popular on the market is because many athletes purchase it as a pre-workout, they believe it may be beneficial for boosting stamina, energy, and athletic performance.
Best L-Arginine Supplements
There are many different brands and types of l-arginine supplements available, so it’s important to choose one that is high quality and backed by science. I recommend the best l arginine supplement from ONNIT Total Nitric Oxide. This supplement is made with pure ingredients and also contains citrulline with arginine which has been shown to be effective for bodybuilders as a pre-workout.
1. Havasu Nutrition L-Arginine
Best l-arginine pre-workout
Havasu Nutrition L-Arginine is listed as the number one arginine supplement for weight-lifters, athletes, runners, and all active lifestyles. It increases blood flow to muscles resulting in longer-lasting erections and quicker recovery times between workouts.
Havasu Nutrition’s L-Arginine supplement is a pure, high-quality product. Each capsule contains 400 milligrams of pure L-Arginine and AAKG, as well as 100 milligrams of beetroot powder for the nitric oxide production that occurs when you take this stack. The formula also includes citrulline malate, which helps your body convert arginine into nitric oxide.
The box contains 60 capsules and each capsule provides 400mg of l-arginine. Havasu Nutrition is a unique and innovative supplement company that offers pure products, made with natural ingredients, free of harmful additives like sugar and fillers. They understand how important your health is and want to help you achieve your fitness goals!
2. Thorne Research Perfusia-SR
Best arginine supplements for men’s
Perfusia-SR is a sustained-release L-arginine supplement that promotes healthy cardiovascular function. It works by supporting the endothelial cells in your arteries, as well as promoting nitric oxide production to help maintain healthy blood pressure and circulation. This formula also helps support healthy blood flow to the brain and supports good skeletal muscle function.
The box contains 120 capsules and each capsule provides 1000mg of l arginine. The supplement is manufactured in a certified Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP) facility that meets Food and Drug Administration (FDA) quality standards.
3. Now Supplement L-Arginine
NOW Foods capsules provide a great source of free-form L-Arginine. This supplement is non-GMO, kosher, and free of gluten and soy. Also, each batch produced adheres to both mandatory U.S. FDA Current Good Manufacturing Practices (CGMP) regulations and voluntary Natural Products Association (NPA) GMP regulations. This compliance with sanitation, processing, documentation, and testing requirements helps promote consistent quality and safety.
The bottle contains 250 capsules and each capsule gives 1000mg of l-arginine. Take 1 tablet twice daily as needed. Take between meals or at bedtime with at least 8 oz. of water or juice to facilitate absorption.
4. ONNIT Total Nitric Oxide
Best L-Arginine and L-Citrulline pre-workout
ONNIT Total Nitric Oxide is NSF Certified for Sport. This means that it has undergone third-party testing to guarantee that it does not contain any banned substances, that the contents match the supplement label, and that the supplement is free from contaminants. Furthermore, this certification also verifies that the product is made in a facility that’s audited twice per year by NSF International.
ONNIT Total Nitric Oxide is a supplement that combines L-arginine with vitamin C, L-citrulline, and a blend of other ingredients, including beetroot powder. It provides 1.4 grams of L-arginine and 3 grams of L-citrulline per 11.8-gram scoop.
L-citrulline is an amino acid that has been shown to improve certain aspects of athletic performance in some studies.
For example, a 2019 study found that supplementing with a combination of 1.2 grams of L-arginine and 1.2 grams of L-citrulline for 6 days improved cycling performance and the perception of physical exertion in college-age male athletes compared with a placebo.
Take one serving (one scoop) mixed with eight ounces of water or your favorite beverage up to two times daily.
5. BulkSupplement L-Arginine Powder
Best l-arginine supplement powder
BulkSupplements L-Arginine powder is a powdered supplement that is advertised to have only one ingredient: L-Arginine. According to the manufacturer, each batch of this powdered supplement is supposed to be lab tested for purity. Each bag is said to contain 1,333 servings. If you are interested in buying this supplement in bulk, this may be a good option for you considering its competitive pricing.
Some people may not want to take this supplement because it may have a strong taste. However, if you don’t mind mixing your supplements into liquid, this powder L-Arginine is one of the top options available.
As a dietary supplement, take 1000 mg (about 1/3 tsp) once or twice daily, or as directed by a physician.
6. Pure Encapsulations L-Arginine
Best purity-tested brand of l arginine
Pure Encapsulations is a trusted brand that is known for its high-quality products. All of their products are third-party tested and manufactured in facilities that exceed the standards of the U.S. Pharmacopeia (USP). This means that you can be sure you’re getting a pure and potent product when you choose Pure Encapsulations.
This l-arginine supplement is certified to be free of gluten, GMOs, soy, dairy, eggs, and artificial colors or sweeteners. Pure encapsulations are the best l-arginine capsule for vegans, as it is completely suitable for vegetarian consumers.
As a dietary supplement, take 2 capsules 1-3 times daily, between meals.
Benefits of L-Arginine
L-arginine has two effects: it turns into nitric oxide and helps the body build protein.
These effects give L-arginine an array of potential benefits, including:
- supporting heart health
- reducing chest pain
- helping build muscles
- repairing wounds
- improving male fertility
Although there are many claims about the benefits of L-arginine, not all of them have support from scientific studies.
Examples of benefits and uses of L-arginine from scientific research include the following:
- Growth hormone reserve test: L-arginine is a common ingredient in healthcare tests used to stimulate the pituitary gland. These tests can help determine if children are producing sufficient levels of growth hormone.
- Reducing high blood pressure: A 2021 meta-analysis suggests L-arginine can help reduce high blood pressure.
- Correcting hereditary disorders of urea synthesis: Arginine is an amino acid that the body uses in the urea cycle to create urea, a substance found in urine. If a person has a hereditary disorder, taking arginine may help to correct it.
- Treating erectile dysfunction: A 2017 study found that there may be a link between low levels of L-arginine and erectile dysfunction (ED). The researchers hypothesized that this may be due, in part, to narrowed blood vessels. People often use L-arginine supplementation, sometimes with other treatments such as sildenafil (Viagra), to treat ED.
- Reducing type 2 diabetes risk: Because L-arginine can help lower blood sugar, it may help control blood sugar in people with diabetes. A 2018 study found that taking L-arginine may reduce the risk or delay the onset of type 2 diabetes.
- Treating peripheral arterial disease: Because of L-arginine’s effects in widening blood vessels, it may help those with peripheral arterial disease.
- Treating pregnancy complications: L-arginine may help treat pregnancy complications, including preeclampsia, gestational hypertension, or high blood pressure.
- Improving athletic performance: The results of a 2020 study suggest that L-arginine supplements may have a positive effect on aerobic and anaerobic exercise performance.
How We Decided These Best L-Arginine Supplements
L-Arginine is an amino acid that has the potential to create nitric oxide and improve blood flow in the body. Because of these potential benefits, it is always wise to consult with a medical professional before adding any new supplement to your daily routine. However, if you have decided to start taking L-Arginine, there are a few key things to keep in mind.
1. Serving size and ingredients: It’s important to focus on a supplement’s serving size and ingredients when you’re looking for a new one. We only pick products that have a 100% label transparency guarantee so you know exactly what you’re getting with each scoop.
2. Price is another important factor to consider. Not only the cost of the product but also the overall value in terms of the number of ingredients and servings. And of course, user feedback is key in determining which pre-workout supplement is right for you.
3. Third-Party-Tested: Finally, safety is always a top priority. A great way to make sure a pre-workout supplement is safe for consumption is if it has been third-party tested. This certification ensures that the product is legitimate and safe.
When is the best time to take l arginine?
L-arginine is best taken 3 times throughout the day, with doses falling in between 2-6 grams. The recommended times to take it are in the morning and one each before and after working out. Taking L-arginine before working out will help increase blood flow and as a result, your energy.
Does L-arginine help with male enhancement?
Some research has indicated that L-arginine may improve ED symptoms at certain doses. For example, a 2022 study of 98 men with ED found that 6 grams per day for 3 months led to significantly improved erectile function in patients with mild to moderate ED.
Before taking any L-arginine supplement for ED, discuss it with your doctor. L-arginine has the potential to interact with many medications, including those used to treat ED, such as Viagra.
The Bottom Line
L-arginine is an amino acid that the body uses to create nitric oxide. This, in turn, helps with circulation and blood flow. So, you’ll often see it as an ingredient in pre-workout and male enhancement supplements.
Pregnant women, infants, and people who are critically ill or injured may need more arginine than their bodies can produce. So, if you’re thinking about taking a supplement, it’s important to talk to your healthcare professional first.