Having arthritis can make us feel like we’re failing at aging gracefully, but that shouldn’t be — millions of people in the United States have it, and about four million are under the age of 44.
Arthritis can impact feet, shoulders, and even your jaw, but it’s especially painful when it’s in your hands. That dull, burning sensation can make simple things, like opening a jar of the marina, excruciating.
Prescription drugs can ease pain, but so can massage. It boosts circulation, soothes muscles, and offers a more holistic approach — and you don’t have to even visit a professional to get the benefits.
The best hand massagers for arthritis are heated, hit acupressure points, vibrate, and feel simply luxurious.
Quick links about best hand massagers
- Best cordless hand massager for arthritis: Lunix LX3 Cordless Electric Hand Massager
- Best finger targeting hand massager for arthritis: Comfier Wireless Hand Massager
- Best for battery life: Purology LXB Hand Massager
- Best palm compression intensity options: HoMove Hand Roller Massager
- Best Vibrating Hand Massager Gloves: Intellinetix Vibrating Gloves
- Best hand massager for arthritis: Lunix LX7 Touchscreen Electric Hand Massager
What causes arthritis?
Arthritis is a condition that refers to the swelling of joints and literally means joint inflammation. According to the CDC, 58 million have the condition. Osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis are the most common forms.
Osteoarthritis happens from repetitive movements or carrying excessive body weight. The cartilage between the joints breaks down, forcing joints to rub together and creating an unpleasant feeling. In contrast, rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disorder. It occurs when enzymes target healthy tissue, as well as the links between joints. It’s commonly found in fingers, wrists, and knees. Systemic symptoms, such as fatigue, anemia, eye inflammation, fever, and weight loss may also occur.
How do hand massagers work?
A hand massage can do more than just reduce pain and increase flexibility – it can be used as a stress reliever or anxiety management tool, too.
Hand massagers usually have a design that lets you place your hand inside the device, which then creates vibrations that help increase blood flow to different areas of your hand.
Hand massagers also provide compression, kneading, and heat, which can all make your hands feel more relaxed.
The massager actually uses vibrations to heat up your muscle tissue and make the blood flow better in that area. The vibrations hit the soft tissue over and over, which makes the blood flow to that area better.
The gentle pressure from the massager can make any tight muscle tissue relax or make scar-like tissue called adhesions softer. This helps the muscle fibers get longer.
6 of The Best Hand Massagers
Below are six of the best hand massage devices available to buy online. The products we describe here are readily available on Amazon.
Best cordless acupressure hand massager for arthritis
Lunix LX3 pressure point therapy massager provides an intense massage and is 100% adjustable to your own needs. The LX3 hand massager offers 6 levels of massage and intensity, combines compression, heat (it provides a gentle warmth, around 104°F – enough to relax and enhance the benefits of the massage), and vibration to offer you the closest feeling to a real hand massage.
The Lunix LX3 is cordless, lightweight, and rechargeable and comes in two colors: black and white.
Features of this hand massager include:
- six levels of massage and intensity
- a soft interior cushion
- acupressure therapy
- heat goes to 104 degrees
- including vibrator
The device is based on acupressure therapy, and the company states that it can reach its optimal temperature in 8 minutes.
Additionally, the company includes a finger massager with each purchase.
Best finger targeting hand massager for arthritis
Comfier Electric Hand massagers are specially designed to adopt air pressure and compress hot air to pamper every part of your hand and work on the fingers and knuckles to ensure total relaxation. The massager helps get rid of any knots and effectively relieves carpal tunnel syndrome and eases finger pains.
Features of this hand massager include:
- Wireless and portable
- light-weight and easy to use
- air compression massage
- soothing heat
- personalize your message with different intensity levels.
- built-in palm pressure point beads
- an automatic shut-off after 15 minutes
Best for battery life vibrating hand massager
The company claims this model is a universal size and can massage the hand, wrist, fingers, and palm.
Moreover, the massager is cordless, portable, and rechargeable, with a charging time of 3–5 hours and the charge lasting a few days. Recommended use is one-two 15-minute sessions per day.
The massager also includes a set of three hand therapy balls of different stiffness.
The massager has the following features:
- six modes and intensity options
- an optional heat function
- two vibration levels
- a soft cloth interior for comfort
- a pre-set 15-minute treatment
- a 1-year warranty
Best palm compression intensity options
This model features a roller massage for the fingers, air pressure, and acupressure therapy to help increase blood circulation which relieves hand pain.
The device does not contain a battery, and a person will need to have it plugged in to use it.
Other features include:
- three massage modes
- three-finger roller intensities
- three palm compression intensities
- a 360-degree full massage
- an optional heat setting
- a 20-minute treatment timer
The device is available for around $99.99 on Amazon, with a rating of 3.9 out of five stars, based on over 40 reviews.
Best energy-saving massager
Patent-pending Therapy Gloves may provide soothing relief for those with arthritis or other chronic conditions that result in pain in your fingers or hands. Simply slip the gloves on and push a button. Small vibrating motors embedded in the gloves begin to work immediately, providing a subtle, yet effective, method of increasing blood circulation and warming aching joints.
The massager has the following features:
- Target messages fingers
- Uses compression
- Made with cotton to prevent overheating
- greater comfort
Suggest that 20 – 30 minutes of treatment two times a day may provide lasting relief.
Best hand massager machine for arthritis
When your hands begin to feel like talons because of arthritis, place them inside the Lunix LX7. The padded interior will immediately put you at ease. The device mixes compression, heat therapy, and vibration for an authentic massage experience. Designed to mimic shiatsu bodywork, the LX7 hits acupressure points, promoting pain relief. Select between four levels of heat, pressure, and intensity. It also massages the wrist!
- Combines heat, compression, and massage for a blissful therapeutic experience
- Easy-to-read touchscreen
- Cushioned interior for your comfort
How we choose
Arrdos Team chooses products that meet the following criteria:
- Price: Arrdos chooses products suitable for a variety of budgets.
- Features: Arrdos selects products with useful features, such as an automatic shut-off, an overheating protection mechanism, or adjustable straps.
- Suitability: Arrdos selects products to suit a range of needs, such as portability and extra temperature functions.
Alternatives to hand massagers
- Professional massage. If you need something more hardcore than self-massage (like if your hand arthritis makes self-massage painful or impossible), consider getting a professional massage. There are massage therapists who specialize in chronic pain, arthritis, and trigger point work. Ask your friends, doctor, or physical therapist for recommendations.
- Hand exercises. Hand exercises can help improve hand muscle strength, improve hand function, and increase flexibility.
- Heat. Heat therapy is also recommended by the Arthritis Foundation. Heat can ease stiff joints, relieve muscle aches, and increase circulation. Several of the massager’s picks above include a heat feature.
- Ice. Cold therapy is a common way to reduce symptoms.
Are hand massage machines good for you?
Yes, it is, vibrating hand massagers machine is a beneficial tool for managing hand arthritis. It generates acupressure that helps to promote blood circulation that manages your hand stiffness and pain.
There is also scientific evidence that has shown that a regular hand massage may help ease pain, increase hand strength, and reduce feelings of stress and anxiety.
If you’re struggling with arthritis in your hands, know that you’re not alone. Many people suffer from this painful condition, but there are things you can do to ease your symptoms. Be patient as you explore all the different options for managing your pain and stiffness. Self-massage can be a helpful tool, but it’s not the only solution. Don’t be afraid to try different techniques until you find something that works for you.
Think of self-massage as a tool for your arthritis relief toolkit. The more techniques and products you try, the more knowledge you’ll have about the best solutions for you. Good luck, and may your pain relief toolkit runneth over.