Glutamine is an amino acid that is used in the biosynthesis of proteins. It was originally suggested that glutamine supplementation might stimulate protein synthesis and thereby promote enhanced muscular performance.
What is Glutamine?
Glutamine is the most abundant amino acid found in the body. It’s made in the muscles and transferred by the blood into the different organ systems. Glutamine is a building block for making protein in the body.
It is found in two different forms: L-glutamine and D-glutamine.
L-Glutamine, the type found in supplement form, plays a significant role in transporting nitrogen between organs. Some evidence suggests that L-glutamine helps to increase gut function and immune function. There are also indications that glutamine aids post-workout recovery.
Who Should Take Glutamine Supplement?
The human body also produces glutamine naturally, it occurs in a variety of foods. People who consume a wide variety of food can easily obtain a sufficient amount of glutamine daily. But there is also a drawback for vegans, actually, glutamine is most commonly available in meat, tofu, and other animal products. So, the individual who is vegetarian and also soy-free might consider a glutamine supplement to increase consumption.
However, if you do eat meat and are getting glutamine naturally from your food, taking additional glutamine may not be necessary for your health. Before you decide which of these glutamine supplements is right for you, consult a medical professional to see if adding this supplement to your diet may be helpful.
Our Best L-Glutamine Supplement (2022 Updated).
Our top 6 list of L-glutamine supplements is organized to reflect what you most value in your supplements. First and foremost is quality. All of our top six supplements meet high standards of quality and come from brands with a proven record of excellence and purity.
1. Transparent Labs CoreSeries BCAA Glutamine
This glutamine supplement provides five grams of L-Glutamine per single-scoop serving. Each serving also contains BCAAs, which are other amino acids that can potentially help boost muscle growth.
The active ingredients, all backed by clinical research, are included in clinically effective dosages associated with published scientific research and contain zero-colored dyes, unnecessary fillers, or harmful additives.
It has four grams of L-leucine, two grams of L-valine, and two grams of L-isoleucine in each serving, thus in a 2:1:1 ratio. Transparent Labs includes 1,535 milligrams of vitamin C and one gram of coconut water powder. This is often considered the gold standard of BCAA Glutamine supplement ratios.
- It may help you feel less tired after an intense workout.
- It helps with muscle development
- The brand is certified in cGMP.
- It has a 100% clean formula.
- It contains Branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs).
- Best choice for vegan.
- Bit pricey compared to others on the market.
- Fewer servings per container.
- Only available on the brand site.
2. Swolverine L-Glutamine
This supplement provides five grams of micronized l-glutamine in each single-scoop serving. Micronized glutamine has been broken down to potentially make it easier to digest. Each 500-gram container provides 100 servings and includes no additional ingredients. Mix one rounded scoop of L-Glutamine supplement powder with 8 oz of water or beverage of choice before and after your workouts for optimal results and athletic performance.
This L-Glutamine supplement powder can help you optimize post-workout recovery by reducing muscle breakdown and exercise-induced muscle soreness. Faster recovery times and less muscle soreness translate to increased training volume and better workout performance.
It’s pure micronized l-glutamine without any additional ingredients, so you’ll be getting exactly what you need without any surprises
- Faster recovery
- Muscle growth
- Amazing response by costumers
- Best for those who want unflavored l-glutamine.
- If you like flavor, sorry not for you.
- Only available on brand sites.
3. Onnit L-Glutamine
Each tub of Onnit L-Glutamine powder contains 60 servings that each provide five grams of l-glutamine. It keeps things simple, having only one ingredient: pure L-glutamine. Another notable benefit is having an NSF certification, documenting its absence of banned substances. This constant makes it best for athletes.
- Boost aerobic performance
- Minimize muscle breakdown
- They have an Informed Sports certification.
- This supplement is vegan-friendly.
- It is also dairy- and soy-free.
- It is third-party tested.
- It supports recovery from muscle atrophy.
4. Optimum Nutrition Glutamine Powder
This glutamine supplement provides five grams of pure L-Glutamine per single-scoop serving. Optimum Nutrition Glutamine Powder considers itself a powerhouse when it comes to offering the best L-glutamine supplement. They purport that it offers superior supplementation of glutamine to the body.
Glutamine is the most abundant amino acid in the body, comprising more than 60% of the free amino acid pool in skeletal muscle and greater than 20% of total circulating amino acids. During prolonged, intense exercise, muscle glutamine levels may be depleted, and this can limit protein synthesis.¹ Glutamine Powder is an easy way to supplement your diet. This instantized powder mixes easily and is unflavored for ‘stacking’ with protein shakes.
- It mixes well with both water and milk.
- It is a highly concentrated powder, giving value for money.
- It offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- It may cause stomach upsets item is high for some people
5. Now Supplements L-Glutamine
It can be tough to find supplement capsules that are compatible with vegan and vegetarian diets and non-GMO also. But Now L-Glutamine capsules are vegetarian and are halal, kosher, and non-GMO. It provides 500 milligrams of L-Glutamine in one capsule and the box contains 120 serving tablets. The recommendation to take is 2 to 3 capsules per day, after a meal.
It also includes other ingredients such as rice flour, cellulose, and magnesium stearate. Now Supplements produces these capsules in a Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) facility (GMP-certified), meaning that they’re inspected for quality during every step of manufacturing.
- If you’re a vegetarian, and/or keep kosher or halal, these glutamine capsules are made of plant-based cellulose, not gelatin.
- Budget-friendly, provide 120 capsules at $15.
- Supports Immune Function
- Nitrogen Transporter
- If you want a powder foam supplement, it is not for you.
6. Naked Nutrition Glutamine.
Naked Nutrition is a US-based health company established in 2015 that produces supplements with “purest ingredients” procured from small farms in the country.
Naked Glutamine is the “highest grade” L-glutamine supplement available in powder form. The company says that it is the “fastest-dissolving” among such supplements available in the market and is also quick to be absorbed in the body.
Naked nutrition glutamine contains 200 servings that each provide five grams of l-glutamine. This is the best L-glutamine in the US.
The company says that their supplement has only one ingredient, and it is free from all types of sweeteners, artificial flavors, and colors. What’s more, it is also avoided soy and gluten and is also tested by a third-party lab for heavy metals.
- Improved exercise endurance
- Promote overall health
- Certified vegan and gluten-free
- 100% plant-based glutamine with no additives, flavors, or colors
- Made in the USA
- Third-party tested for heavy metals
- Nothing to say
Benefits of Glutamine Supplement
Here are some of the notable benefits of nutrition supplements rich in glutamine:
- It helps with reducing muscle tissue soreness after working out.
- It helps reduce fatigue after workouts when combined with carbohydrates.
- It may boost immune function in athletes, although more research on this is needed.
- It is good for gut health since it improves the intestinal wall barrier.
- Glutamine can also help speed the process of muscle recovery.
- Having enough glutamine in your diet may also help boost your gut health.
Side Effect of Glutamine.
In the cases where side effects occur, they are usually minor, and may include the following:
- Stomach or intestinal problems (nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, gas)
- tired feeling
- dry mouth
- runny nose
- increased sweating
- signs of an infection (fever, chills, sore throat, etc.)
When you should take Glutamine
Because glutamine supplements are more related to overall health and recovery than they are to immediate workout performance, you can include your glutamine supplement when it fits into your schedule. That might mean adding some glutamine powder to your morning glass of water or taking a capsule before your workout. You might also choose to scoop some glutamine into your protein shake if you’re supplement stacking.
What To Consider In The Best Glutamine Supplement
Our top glutamine supplement choices are based on many factors, all chosen to help you get the most out of your nutrition and supplements. That means we included a variety of different kinds of glutamine supplements that we think are the best in their respective categories.
- Visit a healthcare professional to get a full medical assessment to confirm that L-glutamine supplements will work for you or not.
- Consider your primary purpose for getting the L-glutamine dietary supplement: gut health, faster muscle recovery, soreness, or immunity boost.
- Third-party testing: checked each product has third-party testing for purity or certified or not.
- Look at the ingredient list, noting what the individual ingredients do according to scientific research.
- Check out the cost of the product: how many servings are included in each container and compared that to the price.
Every athlete looking for the best glutamine capsules and powders has undoubtedly come across at least one of the six brands we have brought to your attention.
However, consult with your healthcare provider and make sure to stick to the dosage that was suggested. Remember that for any of these six best glutamine supplements to work for you, you will also need to combine glutamine with a nutritious diet and lead an active lifestyle.