The Standing Barbell Curl is traditionally the most common bicep exercise, and the most prominent one also. When done correctly, this exercise targets your biceps and can add more strength and size to the entire muscle. With the barbell curl, you can curl more weight by adding plates. Barbell allows both arms to work simultaneously and evenly, which is great for stability and control. Simply hold the barbell curl with both hands, and lift it up towards your chin.
We recommended using EZ- bar and Standing dumbbell curls as better bang-for-your-buck moves because they force the biceps to curl full range of motion than barbell curl, as well as allowing your wrists and elbows to stay in a more natural position throughout each stage of each rep. And that is the main problem with the barbell biceps curl; as much you start adding serious weight to the bar, it can place great stress or impact on these two joints (wrists and elbows).
Instructions: How to do Standing Barbell Curl for Biceps?
- Grab the barbell with an underhand grip, your hands are slightly wider than your shoulders.
- Compress your core and contract your biceps to curl the bar up.
- Slowly lift the weight at the front of your shoulders and keep your elbows and shoulder fix.
- Squeeze your biceps at the top of the movement, then slowly reverse the movement to its starting position.
- Repeat it again, You can do 3 sets with 12-14 reps.
Barbell Curl Tips:-
- The single biggest mistake lifters make on this exercise is swinging the body back to assist in moving the weight up. This is cheating! Your body should remain fixed and only your biceps should be used to move for all the pressure created on your biceps.
- Another mistake is not keeping the elbows fixed and in at the sides. You should not let your elbows come forward when moving the barbell curl up.
- And finally, you need to control the weight throughout the set. This means not letting it drop quickly!
What muscles do standing curls work?
Brachialis and Brachioradialis.
Curls work the biceps muscles at the front of the upper arm, and also the muscles of the lower arm- the Brachialis and Brachioradialis.
Are standing dumbbell curls good?
This is a good exercise that targets the biceps, it is also an exercise that will make you a stronger cyclist. Stand with feet shoulder-width apart holding a dumbbell in each hand with your arms relaxed at your sides.
Do hammer curls build big arms?
Hammer curls are important because of the way they work on your arms. Hammer curls help to build the brachialis and brachioradialis in a way other curl variations simply do not, allowing you to develop additional strength and size.