|Muscle Target:||Medial, Lateral, and Long head triceps|
|Goal:||Build tricep shape and size|
There is no doubt triceps show your arms very attractive and shape fully. It gave you the perfect posture of your arms, which looked cool. That’s why every third of the gym-goer does extra focusing on triceps rather than biceps.
A tricep workout is very essential for your arms foundation. If you want to put a perfect shape on your tricep muscle, then here we drop some effective and best tricep exercise to add to your tricep workout day.
Triceps brachii includes three-headed (tri-three, cep-head) muscle that spans almost the entire length of the humerus. The humerus is the long bone of the upper arm and its upper portion attaches to the side of the scapula and lowers part at the top of the ulna.
As the name of triceps, it contains three different muscle heads which include:-
- Long Head Triceps: The long head of the triceps is the largest part of your triceps and is found running down the back of your arm. The long head is different from the medial and lateral heads, as it crosses the shoulder joint and assists in shoulder extension. It origins infraglenoid tubercle of the scapula.
- Lateral Head Triceps: The lateral head of your tricep is the outermost tricep muscle and the most visible from the side. Well when you developed, it helps to give your upper arm that horseshoe shape, which is so appealing. It origins lateral and posterior surfaces of the humerus above the radial groove and lateral intermuscular septum.
- Medial Head Triceps: The medial head of your tricep helps stabilize your elbow and fills out your upper arm for a proportional look. While you can’t entirely separate it from the other heads of your triceps muscle, you can choose exercises that emphasize its involvement.
Six Most Effective Biceps Workout
1. Close-Grip Bench Press
This close-grip bench press variation has lifted up with your hands that are planted shoulder-width apart. This close placement of your hands makes your triceps work harder, which can lead to muscle hypertrophy and more strength. It is the best exercise for your triceps and lower arm muscles.
How to do Close-Grip Bench Press?
- Grab the barbell with an overhand grip and make sure your hands are closer than shoulder-width apart.
- When your arms are straight, the barbell position is above your sternum. It is your starting position.
- Engage your core and glutes. Keep your feet flat on the floor.
- Lower the barbell opposite to your mid-chest until it touches your body and elbows are tucked on each side at a 45° angle.
- Take a beat, and then press the bar up to its starting position.
- In the starting position pause and feel the pressure that is generated on your triceps.
- Sets: 3-4 sets.
- Reps: 12-8 reps.
- Rest: 60 seconds rest after each set.
2. Tricep Dips
It is a very effective exercise for your triceps because you’re lifting your body weight, your tricep has to work against a heavy load that makes muscle strength and builds a pump. And it is avoided for weak shoulders person. The goers who have much experience can lift the body with some external weight by using belts.
How to do Triceps Dips?
- Lift up yourself on the parallel bar with your torso perpendicular to the floor.
- Maintaining this posture throughout the exercise, bend your keens and cross your ankles.
- Slowly lower your body until your shoulder joints are below your elbows.
- Push back to the starting position, but notice for the next rep your elbows are not locked(nearly Straight).
- Sets: 3
- Reps: 10-8.
- Rest: 50 seconds.
3. Overhead Cable Extension
An Overhead Cable Extension is the perfect exercise for long head muscle and working through its full range of motion. The denser your long head muscle is, the overall larger the triceps appear. It is the best long head tricep exercise.
How to do Overhead Cable Extension?
- Turn back in the front of the cable machine and bend slightly your torso forward, keeping your neck and back straight. Drop one leg back behind another one and create a stable position.
- Grab the cable in both hands, above your head, with your elbows tucked in next to your ears.
- Pull the cable with full extension in front of your head. Keep your elbows tight.
- Allow the cable to retract with control, pulling your arms back to the side of your head. Let your elbows go as far back as your body will allow, so the long head gets a full extension. By doing this, you’ll achieve a full contraction in that long head.
- Sets: 3.
- Reps: 12-10
- Rest: 60 seconds.
4. Lying Triceps Extension
This exercise is also known as Skullcrushers. The lying triceps extension exercise is perfect for building your overall triceps size at an advanced level. It has so many ways to perform it, but your elbow extension remains constant(fixed). It is not for beginners.
How to do Lying Triceps Extension?
- Grab an underhand grip on the EZ bar and extend your arms straight up. (Your hand’s width position should be closer or equal to shoulder width).
- Keep your elbows tucked in, as they face parallel to each other and your arms perpendicular to the floor.
- Slowly lower the bar by bending your forearms until it is about an inch from your forehead.
- Slowly extend your arms back to starting position, without locking your elbows.
- Sets: 3.
- Reps: 12-8.
- Rest: 60 seconds.
Note: Don’t move your elbow during the movement.
5. Cable Rope Triceps Pushdown
This move of triceps exercise is completely focused on your lateral head and long head muscle, but only if you do it perfectly. For this exercise not use too much weight, by involving weight your back and shoulder muscles defeat the purpose. So, lighten the load, heavier the pressure you feel on your triceps. This is the best lateral head tricep exercise.
How to do Cable Rope Triceps Pushdown?
- Attach a rope handle to the high pulley of a cable station.
- Grab the rope with an overhand grip.
- Keep your elbows tucked in at your sides.
- Push the rope down with your elbows locked and do not move your upper arms.
- Slowly return the rope up until your forearms parallel to the ground and again push the rope down.
- Sets: 3-4.
- Reps: 12-8.
- Rest: 40 seconds.
Note: Don’t raise your shoulder up, drive it slowly, and when you push the rope down feel the pressure that generates on your lateral and long head triceps.
6. Overhead Triceps Extension
Overhead triceps extension exercise is best for the long head muscle of your triceps. It helps to develop your triceps muscle, growth, and size. This is the best triceps workout with a dumbbell.
How to do Overhead Triceps Extension?
- Sit on a bench and grab one dumbbell. Grip the top end of the weight with both hands like a form Diamond.
- Lift the dumbbell until your arms are fully extended up. Grip like your palms facing above the ceiling to dumbbell and elbows pointing forward.
- Slowly lower the dumbbell behind your head by bending at the elbows.
- Don’t move your elbows and slowly lift the dumbbell again to its position.
- When you extend your arms after the one rep squeeze the tricep muscle.
- Sets: 3
- Reps: 12-14
- Rest: 60 seconds in each set
Advanced Triceps Workout Chart
If you’re someone who neglects to train triceps as hard as biceps, this workout is for you. It starts with skullcrushers, then switches to lighter dumbbell and cable variations.
- Incline EZ-bar Skullcrusher: 4 set , 8-10 reps (rest 60 sec)
- Overhead Dumbbell Triceps Extension: 3 sets, 12 reps (rest 90 sec)
- Cable Rope Push Down: 4 sets, 16-20 reps (rest 45 sec)
- Triceps Dip: 3 sets, 12 reps (rest 90 sec).